The Scuderie del Quirinale, a venue for major cultural events and exhibitions, offers exhibition rooms, a cafeteria, a restaurant and a bookshop in the very heart of Rome: a forum of unparalleled beauty devoted heart and soul to culture.
The building, designed by 18th century architect Ferdinando Fuga, was ready in 1732, having taken almost 10 years to complete. For just over two centuries, until the Italian Republic was declared in 1946, the Scuderie lived a peaceful life serving the needs of its parent, the Quirinale Palace across the square. But since the turn of the last century this mysterious building has begun to perform a totally different function, after its transformation into one of the capital’s most exciting new exhibition venues.
An international competition for the restoration of this historic building and for designing its new exhibition areas was won by architect Gae Aulenti.
Over the years guidelines adhered to with scientific stringency and continuity when choosing topics for exhibitions at the Scuderie, include a program for boosting appreciation of both classical and modern Italian art and an innovative and in-depth look at the relationship between Italy and the best in international art.