It was founded in 1930, in the former Pantheon of Via dei Cerchi, to pay homage to the city and to respond to the ever-urgent desire to pass on the memory of the "Rome that was disappearing" as a result of the regulatory plans of Rome Capital and transformations Fascist era.
In 1952 it was moved to the present-day Palazzo Braschi.
Since then, the original historical-documentary vocation has evolved in favor of the artistic valorization of the Museum. The patrimony has been enriched with paintings, sculptures, prints, photographs and dresses, and today we have a mosaic of very rich collections, through which the story of Rome, its life, its history, its transformations between the 17th century and the 19th century.
The permanent exhibition occupies the first and second floor of the palace, while the temporary exhibitions are housed in two rooms with independent entrance on the ground floor (directly from the courtyard) and in other private areas inside the building. On the ground floor there is a point of reference (a library specializing in Rome and workspaces linked to the database of museum collections) and a multimedia room (easy-to-use applications for an innovative approach to artistic heritage).
On the horse between Piazza Navona and Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, Palazzo Braschi stands in all its refined elegance in the Renaissance heart of Rome. Its courtyard - found in the crossroads of the winery - offers an amazing view over Piazza Navona and today constitutes a hub of pedestrian urban routes. It is also a pleasant meeting space, where to stay, refresh and participate in public and private initiatives.